Tuesday, January 16, 2007

All-in-One

Last year, I was introduced to a new drink while having dinner with a friend. It is called vitaminwater. There are a number of different flavors, but the one that I prefer is the multi-v lemonade. I don't get it often because it is too expensive, but I always make it a point to check and see if it is on-sale when I visit the grocery store.

I think the reason I like this mystical beverage so much is because it is water with a subtle lemonade flavor... and it is designed to be good for me! It supposedly has it all! In fact, the label says that this all-in-one product contains more of the nutrients I need... from a to zinc... "think of it as a drinkable swiss army knife". That last line actually disturbs me a little bit! Who wants to drink a swiss army knife?

The boldest claim made about this refreshing beverage is "vitamins + water = all you need". Maybe I am over-thinking this, but as much as I like multi-v lemonade, it most definitely is not all I need! I am a man of many needs!

Still this concept has me wondering... if I could ever truly get "all I need" from one drink or pill or double-chocolate brownie fudge sundae (much closer to the dream)... would I want to sacrifice variety for convenience sake?

Our society pays good money for convenience. Just the other day, my wife said if we ever lived in New York City she would want to be wealthy enough to be able to take taxi cabs and get door to door service instead of having to take the subway (forget about walking 5-10 miles in a day like the average New Yorker).

Consider how technological advances have eliminated the need to open doors and gates or turn on lights. We have all-in-one remote controls that allow us to change channels, volume, switch back and forth between dvd player and cable programming. The latest cell phones are also cameras, camcorders, calculators, personal gaming devices, hand-held computers capable of accessing the internet, and mp3 players. Hopefully, it won't be too long before the cell phone and the TV remote are merged together as an all-in-one device.

If I have given you the wrong idea, I am not anti-convenience. Even if I was against the all-in-one approach, who am I to stand in the way of "progress"?

As technology continues to get more and more advanced, we will see crazy, creative, and even healthy all-in-one products... from a to z! Just one observation... the latest, fastest, most convenient does NOT always translate to the best solution. Sometimes we are supposed to take the less traveled road. Occasionally the longest and most difficult path is the one that is the most rewarding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home