Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Treading Water

It is an odd time of year to be observing things that occur in and around swimming pools, but I have had a rather aquatic week. It all started when, as I was sitting in the dry sauna after a hard work-out, I noticed a lady doing laps in the pool. She was flying! From where I was sitting, only the last 5 yards of one end of the lap pool were in view. I didn't notice her at first, but then as my 20 minutes was winding down, I suddenly became interested.

It was her speed and her transitions that captured my attention. She had to be moving pretty fast... she was more than lapping everyone else in the pool. And on the turns she would do that flip that swimmers do... and she did it with such grace and precision. I stayed longer to see if this lady would slow down or maybe rest... she didn't!

Some would say that I am easily impressed. Maybe I am. Perhaps she was only an average swimmer and I have just never paid too much attention to those water dogs that do all those laps. Maybe she is training for the Olympics! I don't know. And I will admit that there is a possibility that my interest was peaked because I could train with the best water instructors in the world for 12 straight months and I would still not be able to do what that lady was doing.

The reason... partly because I realize that some people are born with more athleticism and some are born with less (me!)... BUT mostly I couldn't do it because I am lazy! I see the side of the pool and I don't want to do that tricky flip and go move... No, I want to reach out grab the wall and stop (after one lap!!!)

Last week, I saw a movie that showed these men and women attending advanced training for the U.S. Coast Guard... they had to tread water for an insane amount of time. The #1 recruit was a muscle-bound man who cramped up and became the first recruit to wash out on the first day of training when he couldn't stay afloat in the pool.

Today, I heard a guy say that he was growing weary of treading water... figuratively speaking. I encouraged this man to swim over to the side of the pool and just hold on for a while. He said, "I didn't realize that was an option!"

Sometimes in the pool of life we try to maintain an unrealistic pace. We seem to be swimming faster and faster or else we are attempting to tread longer and longer. Just like the man I spoke with today, so many of us do not realize that stopping for a little bit to catch our breath is permitted. Maybe you have been going and going and going... give yourself a break and reach out for the side of the pool. No one wants to admit they are weak, but the truth that is revealed in God's Word is that "when we are weak, God is strong." The hard part is letting go of our medals and achievements long enough to realize that apart from these things their is joy and life in the pool.

May you be a fast swimmer with exceptional endurance in the pool of life... and may you find hope and peace and grace while grasping for the walls when your strength fails you!

1 Comments:

Blogger Paola said...

...maybe even get out and enjoy the sun for a little?

thanks for your comment on my blog!... :)

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home