Friday, April 06, 2007

"I don't want to be a burden..."

How many times have I heard that from someone who was about to be completely crushed by their burden(s)? It is the last thing people say before screaming, "I NEED HELP!!!" That's what they say when bones start breaking and the blood starts flowing.

No one wants to be a burden, and very few people are comfortable sharing their burdens. But the Bible tells us to "carry each others burdens and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." (Galatians 6:2)

Recently I was speaking with a well meaning friend who, without realizing it, encouraged me to stop sharing my burdens, "because people get tired of hearing it". At first, I thought that was wise advice. I know how much I hate to hear that one special needs person bring up their struggle EVERYTIME we talk. And I don't want to be seen as that person, right?

OR have I been missing something that is now becoming a reality for me? I have never understood chronic pain because I have never had it. I don't know what it feels like to be single into my 40's and desire more than anything in this world to be married. I have never been in a job that I hated for over a decade with no new opportunities in sight. But for the last 10 months, I have been earning considerably less money than our family needs to live on... and my perspective is changing.

It is humbling to make our burdens known, but we have seen God provide exactly what we need, when we need it, through people who care about us. And I now realize how callus I have become to others who are carrying burdens.

When that teenage girl tells me again how messed up her friends are who are doing drugs and having babies, instead of adding it to her list of sad stories, I should take this as an opportunity to help her carry her burdens by offering to pray with her, and by asking the simplest of questions, like... what do they need? how can I help?

When an old friend laments about not being able to find a wife, I can preach a sermon about a relationship with God being all that he needs or I can offer to pray with him and start looking for opportunities to introduce him to single women that I know.

When my neighbor's car breaks down, I can offer my condolences, or I can pray for him and offer to take him to work... or let him borrow my car if he needs it!

May you lose any fear in sharing your burdens and may you lose any doubt that you are the hands and feet of God designed to help carry the burdens of others.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jason Powers said...

Blessed are the poor in spirit... blessed are those who mourn... blessed are...

This isn't just revolutionary mind twist Kingdom theology. This is practical reality. Until you are willing to mourn, you won't be comforted. Until you give up your rights to this world, you can't have the keys to the Kingdom.

Here here to sharing and carrying each others burdens. Now, if I could just humble myself a bit...

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home